Saturday, July 17, 2010

This makes me happy.

I found a small listener review of 'Modular Puzzle' that made me really happy. I'm so glad there are other people out there that really in to what I am trying to make:

"Upon reading the preview for this album on the label's newsletter and web page, i at first read the phrase "acid tachno" and felt a little turned off. I found myself falling into the mindset that acid techo tended to be redundant and uninspiring and more for the dancefloor. Of course, you can't always judge a cd by its preview in print. I listened to the audio samples and was intrigued, and ordered a copy.

It arrived promptly, and popped it into my car stereo and was taken completely off guard. This wasn't your stereotyped acid techno at all in any respect. This wasn't a dancefloor oriented album (thank the stars), and it wasn't anything I had ever heard before. In fact, I was so enthralled with this album, that I am amazed that this hasn't reached anyone else's ears already.

The first few tracks send you into a fiery burst of organized chaos-- industrial beats and a flurry of glitchy synth pads send you into a dark yet vibrant place before settling you into amazingly catchy, IDM-meets-acid synth-meets-Ed Wood Jr's brain if you plugged it into an amplifier. The next several tracks thump you into a whirlwind of emotions; really taking the lidten in and truly making them wonder what could be lurking around the corner.

Things warm up a bit near track nine and ten. Here, I'm reminded of BoC's b-sides to their few singles, only with a hefty dash of Tonikom, "Come to Daddy"-esque Aphex Twin, and a hint of sunlight.

The next few track to the closer are a little more controled, relaxed and mellow. It is certainly needed after such a wild sonic ride.

With such a stunning, brilliant and vibrant label debut, I have no doubt that Trills is going to turn a lot of heads. If there was a soundtrack for the unknown, this would be it."

No comments:

Post a Comment